Radio has been a companion to many people throughout the ages. It not only connects the outer world but also creates a bond between people. Marketers find this media as a great platform to promote, market, and brand their business value, product, service with a radio advertisement. This form of marketing strategy is highly effective as radio can be broadcasted from both traditional stations and satellite or internet radio bringing people much closer to advertisers. Radio advertising is one of the fundamental sources of income for a radio station. Advertiser purchase airtime from the radio stations for advertisement and radio stations broadcasts those advertisements to its listeners earning a great amount of revenue.
Advertisement in radio is the main source of earning revenue in a radio station. For a long time, Radio station has been an amazing platform for marketers. Before marketing on a radio, a marketer must be acquainted with the types of advertisement radio launches if he/she wants to air his/her advertisement on it. The main three types are discussed below:
When an advertisement is read out loud in a live radio show that is live reads. This gets influencing by a fan-based speaker on the radio.
This is like any other ads that are made and paid for by marketers. Sponsored ads are sometimes demotivated as listeners are prone to skip this kind of ad. But presenter who can handle listeners with his charisma can have a better result.
This is when an advertiser purchases a period to advertise his advertisement on the radio show. The best time to choose spots for advertisement could be in the traffic morning, school-office launch break, evening leisure time, or in the night time.
An effective platform
Radio is one of the finest ways to reach people. People listen to the radio from morning to night creating it a habit of their daily life. Marketer grabs this opportunity to reach to their customer powering this habitual nature of radio listeners.
- Bond: Radio listener grows a bond with the speaker during long time engagement with radio. So, advertising with the speaker creates an effective influence on the listener about the marketer's message.
- Repetition: Radio airs the same advertisement throughout the day which creates a deep impact on the listener’s mind. The repetition compels the listener to remember the music, tone, or any other significant attributes about the advertisement results in quality advertising.
- Tell stories: Stories are always encouraged at a time of promotion. Radio is the best way to tell stories as a speaker talks and advertises the ad. Stories inject emotion to the listeners in a radio show creates a better scope to reach an audience for marketing.
- Cost-effective: Comparing to other formats of advertising radio advertisement is less costly. Production and distribution are low on making a radio advertisement.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- Has a tracking ability to get feedback and measure accordingly.
- Advertising on peak hour slots gets difficult with so many competitors as a radio station provides a very limited stock
- Radio lacks a visual presentation, motion. So, advertisements on the radio sometimes don’t get results from light TV or internet videos.
- Through radio, the audience can be reached staying anywhere such as home, office, roads, etc.
- Advertisement on the radio is for a short time this is why listeners have to wait for another ad period for repetition may result in loss of interest.
Creating a radio ad
Local advertiser mostly chooses radio advertisement to reach the local audience. Most effectiveness comes from creative advertising an advertiser can make. For creating an advertisement an advertiser should make creative script writing which will be interesting to listeners and skim listeners. The script should be short remembering the time slots and to the point. Using catchy dialogues, jingles, music will add spice to advertising. Hiring a good writer might bring a good result. After a memorable script is ready it necessary to find a popular voice artist who can shape this ad into perfection and call the listener to listen to what he about to tell. An advertisement should send a message inside advertising where should a listener can reach the product if they need it.
Pricing a radio advertisement can be in many ways. Mostly, it depends on the number of listeners. Cost is calculated on how many listeners are listening per minute. Before having an advertisement on the radio, one must have in mind the following variables to cost of advertising:
- Production cost: All advertising has to deal with this cost of production. Production cost for radio advertising is much lower than TV or other media.
- Listenership: The cost may vary to how many people have been reached through the advertising and how many stations played it. A radio station with more listeners will cost more but provides effective results.
- Length: Advertising length will cost you different. Most advertisements are 15secs, 30secs, and 60secs max.