In the dark age, people had to communicate with long distant people by letters or telegrams. Now some person living in one side of the world can communicate with other person residing in some other part of the world in an instant. Communication has driven to a new age with the advent of radio, telephone, mobile, computer, etc. Calls and messages can be sent or receive from anywhere in the world. This new era of inventions has given light to the communication journey. How can someone send and receive a message so quickly? Frequency Modulation has made this journey successful. Technologies have been born and upgraded with the hand of frequency modulation. By which any message can be sent and receive instantly from any place of the earth. The business sector has earned a philosopher’s stone by frequency modulation. This has made marketing reach a thousand with an advertisement in radio, computer and many other. Radio and television advertisements are significant among all other frequency modulation devices for advertisement.
Frequency modulation was invented by Edwin Armstrong in 1930. Frequency modulation is the process by which messages are encoded into a single signal by varying proportionally with the carrier wave frequency per the frequency of the modulating signal. Here a carrier signal is modulated by the input signal and amplitude is constant. This means the more input signal increase the more increases the frequency carrier and the carrier frequency will decrease with the decrease of an input signal. when the input signal is at its lowest the carrier frequency will be zero which means no data will be transmitted. Again, when an input signal is at its peak data will be transmitted at a higher rate as carrier frequency will be maximum. Frequency modulation is commonly used in radio and broadcasting television.
Two types of frequency modulation are used for communication purposes. They are as follows:
- Analog frequency modulation
- Digital frequency modulation.
Voice or music over radio broadcasting uses analog frequency modulation for continuous deviation of frequency. Digital modulation is the process of encoding a digital information signal into the amplitude, phase, or frequency of the transmitted signal mostly used in broadcasting television.
Analog television bandwidths between 54 MHz and 825 MHz and the FM band including FM radio, which operates from 88 MHz to 108 MHz. To broadcast audio radio stations, utilize a 38 kHz frequency band.
An effective platform
FM radio and TV broadcast are the revolutionary marketing media as they have shown greater and fastest reach to people within a short time means messages can be sent, received, and broadcasted with media platform easily. Marketer grabs this opportunity to reach to their customer powering this habitual nature of radio listeners and television viewer.
- Radio listener grows a bond with the speaker during long time engagement with radio. So, advertising with the speaker creates an effective influence on the listener about the marketer's message.
- Television has earned a place in every heart irrespective of age, gender as all loves to watch tv in their leisure time. This mass interest has given a better scope for the marketing field to market their business through national television
- Radio airs the same advertisement throughout the day which creates a deep impact on the listener’s mind. The repetition compels the listener to remember the music, tone, or any other significant attributes about the advertisement results in quality advertising.
- Stories are always encouraged at a time of promotion. Radio is the best way to tell stories as a speaker talks and advertises the ad. Stories inject emotion to the listeners in a radio show creates a better scope to reach an audience for marketing.
- Comparing to other formats of advertising radio advertisement is less costly. Production and distribution are low on making a radio advertisement.
- Television can create perfect viewer attention as it not only shows videos or can be listened to only. This is a mixture of sound and video with coloring and motion.
- Land telephones have connected advertisers and audiences directly creating a scope for them to talk to each other.
Advantages and disadvantages:
Frequency modulation has brought up technologies like radio and television to earn much interest around the world. Though communication is easier because of these technologies by frequency modulation but audience and advertiser might find it a little hard to use this technology.
- Advertising through frequency modulation technologies has less noise and interference providing smooth communication to the audience.
- Frequency modulation uses high bandwidth results in costly hardware.
- Can grab audience anywhere either at home or outside through radio.
- Create mass marketing through radio and broadcasting television.
- Frequency modulators need an antenna to send and receive a message. A poor antenna might create turbulence in advertising or connection may get lost in between.